Alpe d’Huez is in birds flight 4 km from the hotel, also called “Ile au Soleil”. This “Island in the sun “ is thanks to its southern climate and the influence of the Mediterranean Sea, good for more than just 300 days of sun every year. In the summer is this part of the French Alps the ideal surrounding for every kind of holiday. If you want to choose for an active vacation of just looking for the silence of nature. Bikers, mountain bikers, motorcyclist, just walking, hikers, nature lovers, but also the people that are looking for just to relax, everybody’s needs can be fulfilled.
- Cyclists can fully live themselves out on the different mountain tops of the French bicycle classics such as the Tour de France and the Marmotte.
Almost every year is there a tour stage with arrival on the world renowned Alpe d’Huez. De presence of thousands of bike lovers of every nationality imaginable give our surroundings a quit special festive atmosphere.
The ride to Alpe d’Huez, also known as the “Dutch mountain” is one that every bicycle rider has to climb once in a life time as a biker. Also other mountains such as the Glandon and the Galibier are a must for every bicycle lover.
- Mountain bikers can find their way on many routes (250km) especially laid out for beginners as well as experienced drivers. Even downhill racers can start from the ‘Pic Blanc” and enjoy every minute of the ride.
- Motorcyclist Even myself years a Hayabusa rider have enjoyed all the virtues and needs of a motorcyclist well enough. The many roads with lovely curves and not to forget a few hundred hairpin corners, a joy for every motorcyclist.
- Hikers can find here about then different trails expanding from simple till very heavy. For example , a part of the GR54 that starts in Bourg d’Oisans and after more than 4 km and almost 2,5 hours later of walking and climbing, you pass by hotel La Foret de Maronne.
For the bicycle fanatics some known local trails
The Trophee de l’Oisans, a 4 stage bicycle race, La Marmotte is the most known of the 4, 174km over the top of La Croix de Fer, the top of the Telegraphe, the top of the Galibier and the Alpe d’Huez.
The other 3 stages are: ‘La Vaujany’. De Trophee de l'Oisans is run beginning of July.
If you want to participate on the Marmotte please be sure to register as soon as possible.
Those who seek more adventure and trills, you can even take part in rafting, but also mountain climbing, abseiling, or paragliding.
Some examples of bicycles trips:
1. Trip around the lake of Verney (18 km)
2. La Berarde (22 km)
3. The 21 hairpin corners of Alpe d'Huez (14 km)
4. La Garde - Freney - Les 2 Alpes (50 km)
5. Villard Reculas - Alpe d'Huez - Freney (80 km)
6. Col de d'Izoard - Guillestre (100 km)
7. Col de Lautaret – Col de Galibier (120 km)
8. Col de La Morte – Col d'Ornon (125 km)
9. Le Marmotton; Croix de Fer - Télégraphe - Galibier (160 km)
Several mountain bike trials and several - races, of witch 'La Megavalanche': a decent on mountain bike from Pic Blanc to Allemont with an altitude difference of at least 2.500 meter!